Marian Catholic College endeavours to create a wide range of sporting opportunities for its students. It aims to promote a healthy lifestyle and the benefits associated with participating in a variety of sporting situations. It is the College’s goal to continually assess the range of sporting options available to our students and pursue a broader range of activities, which cater for the interests of the College community and allow all of the students to achieve.
Skills in a range of sports are taught in Personal Development, Health and Physical Education (PDHPE). Within normal school time, sport is incorporated as extra practical lessons in the PDHPE program and the College allocates 400 hours total in Years 7-10 for the full program. This is compulsory for Years 7 to 10 as part of the School Certificate course. All students are expected to participate regularly in order to meet the Board of Studies requirements.
All students are expected to attend and participate. They should be in full sports uniform, unless advised otherwise.
Talented athletes at MCC are able to proceed to Diocesan, state and national level through our participation in the Border Independent School Sports Associations (BISSA), NSW Combined Catholic Colleges (CCC), NSW All Schools and, at national level, the Pacific School Games.
College commitment to sport
Marian Catholic College is committed to the following sports. The pathway to state representation is listed after each sport.
Swimming: School carnival – BISSA- NSW CCC – State representation.
Athletics: School carnival – BISSA – NSW CCC – State representation.
Cross Country: School carnival – BISSA – NSW CCC – State representation.
Netball: School team – CCC carnival – NSW CCC – State representation.
Basketball: School team – CCC carnival – NSW CCC – State representation.
Touch Football: School team – Riverina carnival – NSW CCC – State representation.
Soccer: School team – Riverina carnival – NSW CCC – State representation.
Golf: School team – Riverina carnival – NSW CCC – State Representation.
Australian Rules Football: Nomination – Riverina carnival – NSW CCC – State representation.
Cricket: Nomination – Riverina carnival – NSW CCC – State representation.
Rugby: Nomination – Riverina carnival – NSW CCC – State representation.
Hockey: Nomination – Riverina carnival – NSW CCC – State representation.
Marian Catholic College also involves itself in a number of local sporting competitions that cater for those not offered by CCC.
Representing the College
- Interschool Swimming, Athletics and Cross Country students are chosen to represent
the College on the basis of their performance at the College’s carnivals. It is compulsory for students who do qualify, to represent Marian Catholic College to fulfill this interschool commitment.
- Students who do qualify to represent Marian Catholic College beyond interschool level may choose whether or not to pursue continued representation.
- For representative teams other than those mentioned above, students nominate to join training squads and are then chosen for teams according to criteria set down by the coach of that team.
- Any student whose academic progress is disrupted because of the time given to
representing Marian Catholic College shall have their commitment to representation reviewed by the relevant Pastoral Coordinator, in consultation with the Sports Coordinator.
- Any student chosen to represent Marian Catholic College may be excluded from this privilege if their in-school behaviour suggests they would not be able to do this in an appropriate manner. Such a decision would be at the discretion of the Principal and Pastoral Coordinators, in consultation with the Sports Coordinator.
- In order to relieve the financial burden on families, students are encouraged to be selective in choosing those representative opportunities they wish to pursue.
- Failure of any student to fulfill their commitment to represent Marian Catholic College at the interschool Swimming, Athletics and Cross Country, without a proper excuse, may result in exclusion from representing Marian Catholic College at any other event in that school year.
- Any student failing to represent Marian Catholic College in the appropriate manner will incur immediate, long term exclusion from this privilege. The length of this exclusion is to be determined by the Principal, in consultation with the Pastoral and Sport Coordinator.
- Marian Catholic College will meet the cost of the three compulsory school carnivals (Swimming, Athletics and Cross Country). These expenses include the hire of equipment and facilities.
- The cost of all other sporting excursions is to be met by the participating student. It is not the responsibility of the College to raise money for individuals or teams to compete at a higher level.
- Payments are to be made to the College office prior to the date of the excursion, unless alternative arrangements have been made with the Business Manager or the coach of the team.
Students representing Marian Catholic College must wear the College sports uniform for all events unless a different uniform is provided as part of the representative team’s policy for sporting involvement (such as NSW CCC Athletics Squad).
Team Training Sessions
- Teams/athletes, where availability permits, will have trained prior to representing Marian Catholic College, during lunch times or after school.
- Training sessions are compulsory. Students unable to attend should notify the coach prior to that session, stating reasons. Repeated failure to attend may result in the student being excluded from the team.