Marian Catholic College affirms the right of all young people to a broad balanced education in an inclusive and supportive environment. This policy recognises the diversity of learners and recognises the necessity of adapting educational procedures to meet the needs of all students.
Students with disabilities have physical, emotional, intellectual or sensory impairments and / or disabilities in communication and language. Through a process of discussion, collaboration and negotiation with individual students, their families, teachers, support staff and KLA head teachers and curriculum co-ordinator, an agreed plan of action regarding the student’s curriculum, is developed.
The Special Education teacher, with the support of the 4 teacher assistants, helps teachers and KLA Co-ordinators in one of the following modes of operation:
- Team teaching
Assistance may be given to all school personnel by sharing information in the area of:
- Individual Education Plans (IEP’s)
- Literacy and Numeracy
- Identification Procedures
- Strategies and Adjustment Procedures
The Special Education Team specifically assists the teachers in all KLA by:
Working in a collaborative way to advise, adapt and select appropriate programs for students with learning support needs:
- Assisting in implementing, adjusting, monitoring and evaluating planned programs especially for students with IEP’s;
- Sharing information, ideas and strategies to cater for students with support needs;
- Implementing special provisions procedures for class assessments and examinations both internal and external
Assessing students who have been referred;
- Providing teacher support within classrooms in a team teaching situation.